Thursday, December 11, 2008

Rand Blog 3

1. No selves just I! What a society. Sometimes I think that's exactly what America needs but on the other hand it would be completely insane. Sometimes we have to deal with "I" before we can deal with "WE". Just like the book, if there's no "I" how could we have individual goals. What would we look forward too. A lot of times we do things to open paths for others. How can we possibly have leadership if everyone leading, someone has to follow. We can do somethings but I have to do somethings along.
2.As I finish reading page 51 of Ayn Rand's book, all I could think about for days was the unspeakable word. What could it possibly be? I've pondered over several words such as individualism,freedom,God,I, me, and many others but I am still not sure of this word. I really like this about the book because it keeps you going. It's so much going on in this short story that you have no idea what the word is. And I don't. What word could possibly cause you your life. The characters are already living crucial lives which must be the effect of this unspeakable world. Maybe saying this costs you your life,it may also be a danger to your family, but who really knows.
3.I think Rand used those names to put a emphasis on we. To show that there was not really any individualism at all. These people had significant names, they were numbers under rule. It made me think they had no importance besides the day long jobs they possessed. Which is indeed true! They are only allowed to feel what everyone else is feeling. The numbered names show a sense of belonging- they were like cows in a herd. Each herd had a job to do and only communicated with other cows within their herd. This gave the book so much more importance.

No comments: