Sunday, September 21, 2008

Man's Rights vs Collectivized Rights-Ayn Rand

The essay's Man's Rights and Collectivized Rights by Ayn Rand both have many exquisite distinctions. From the her examples and beliefs of ethics, moral rights, individual and collective rights to her clear understandings of tyranny,collectivism and capitalism. She supplies info that many may never think of.
Rand states that individual rights are for the individual while the term collectivized rights are a contradiction because collectivism is only a group of individuals and that groups have no rights, only the individuals in the groups. So what impertinence does collective rights hold? Along with Rand I don't think there's much. Collective rights belong to groups, so if I'm not in the group I don't have rights?WRONG! Individual rights, on the other hand, lets me know that every person within our society has rights no matter who or what they do.Collective rights are produced from groups which are made up of individuals. Both forms of rights do however hold up for the common good; they both support our government and constitution, the law of the land.
Once completing this passages, I had to ask myself one question. Do I have any rights, am I truly free? As I pondered the question, I looked around. As a U.S. citizen I am dressed in a mandatory uniform that has to be worn to attend school for free, I am placed under a city curfew and through every step I take there's some limitations. No, these limitations don't reflect my age but my existence. Should I complain ? No, many countries have bigger battles that uphold worse consequences. This passage helps me to realize that there's no clear meaning to a man's rights.
Rand's perception seems to be very similar to mine in that The government was set to protect man from criminals—and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government.(Rand,1963). I think that our government really recognizes our morals rights through the constitution. They are recognized but many have limitations. These limitations are indeed needed to maintain a stable government. Besides a few limitations, I feel that America has done a great job with providing us with rights.

No comments: